Governor Nyesom Ezewo Wike launched what he tagged “New Security Architecture” on Friday at Sharks Stadium, Port Harcourt. He said it was an integrated security measure to tackle increased crime in the State
I strongly commend the Governor for that bold move and hope we sustain it.
My concerns are these;
• There is nothing new in the scheme, it was just a show where equipment were handed over to the security agencies
• Toll Free Number: An integrated security measure ought to have factored in a toll free number people can call in case of emergency, either to prevent commission of or tackle already committed crime, and such number ought to have been publicized from the Governor at the launch
• Security Policy: There ought to be a security policy/plans that we’ll direct how the purchased equipment should be deployed for effective and efficient crime fighting. I did not see the Governor unveil any
• Control Movement of Arma: Hence crime is perpetrated mainly through use of Arms and other weapons, a responsive security architecture govt ought to have a mechanism of tackling movement of Small and Light Arms, achieving this would have reduced crime by about 40%.
This could be achieved by reactivating the moribund Digital Security Checkpoints established by the past administration
• Establish Units at flashpoints: Specialized units ought to be established along the flashpoints like Emolga section of the East/West and Ikwerre Communities on the PH/Owerri Rd to check increased crime in the area, the crime situation has defied all sorts of periodic patrols, it requires presence
• Special Allowance for Security Personnel deployed on tactical missions: Like the immediate past administration, govt should make provision to pay allowance to those security personnel posted on special operations in the State as an incentive
With these and more measures lacking in the Security Architecture, it is worrisome we may have just had another media show with little results.
Share your views with us using the comment section below….