Atadwe also known as Chufa in Spanish language is a grass-like plant of the Trans-Saharan Island. It is a native of the Mediterranean region and widely used in Spain where it is call “HORCHATA” and mostly used as juice to enhance the intestines.
It has cylindrical tubers of several species of black, brown and gold of 20 inches in height, lance-shaped leaves small spikes of green flowers
Today, chufa is widely used all over Africa, the tuber called ‘nut” is planted and harvested around early April and the long vacation time aka the summer.
It is distributed and commercialized all over the world. Chufa is rich in fibre, has 20-30 per cent tiger-nut oil which is nourishing to the epidermis, nullifies hard-knots in the stomach and acts as a coolant to hot flushes associated with premature menopause. The high fibre content of the chufa makes it a wonderful colon evacuator and cleanser.
Medicinal Benefits of the Tiger Nuts;
1. It prevents constipation.
2. It has necessary essential minerals; calcium, magnesium and iron necessary for bones, tissues repairs, muscles and the blood stream.
3. It contains enough protein and carbohydrates.
4. Chufa contains a good quantity of vitamin B1 which assists in balancing the central nervous system and helps to encourage the body to adapt to stress.
5. It supplies the body with enough quantity of Vitamin E, very essential for fertility in both men and women.
6. It is excellent for colitis and assists proper digestion. Chufa juice is used as a liver tonic, heart stimulant, drank to heal serious stomach pain, to promote normal menstruation, to heal mouth and gum ulcers.
7. It is a powerful aphrodisiac -Sex Life Booster- (sexual stimulant).
8. The black specie of the tiger nut is an excellent medicine for breast lumps and cancer (any type of internal canceration and inflammations).
9. Tiger nuts give a heating and drying action to the digestive system in general and this gives it the potency to alleviate flatulence.
10. Chufa promotes the production of urine, this is why it is a preventive measure for cyst, prostrate, hernia, rectum deformation and prolapsed (anal feature-small painful flesh and the tip of the anus) and to prevent endometriosis or fibrosis as well as blockage of the tip of the fallopian tube.
11. It supplies the body with enough quantity of vitamin E, very essential for fertility in both men and women.
12. It helps lactating mothers to produce more breast milk for their babies.
13. Diabetes Control- Tiger nuts may be a great addition to your snack cupboard. The insoluble fiber in these tubers helps control blood sugar levels, as it’s a type of carbohydrate that doesn’t raise blood sugar.
14. Antibacterial Properties- Tiger Nuts help fight bacteria the human body. One study published in Ancient Science of Life found extracts of Cyperus esculentus actually had bacteria-fighting effects on several dangerous human pathogens, including salmonella and E coli.
15. Lower Bad Cholesterol – Even with all the misinformation out there about good and bad cholesterol, it is still essential to maintain healthy levels of each.
Due to the fiber content, Tiger nuts have been proven to lower levels of LDL cholesterol and balance cholesterol levels by absorbing it better.
Sharing is Caring……