The Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been charged with the Responsibility of reaching out to the Government of the Republic of South African over the recent attack on Nigerian citizens residing therein.
The Minister Hon. Geoffrey Onyeama who on Wednesday invited the High Commissioner of South African to Nigerian Bobby Moroe said in a statement made concrete proposals in respect of compensation and a viable security mechanism to protect Nigerians, for South African Government’s urgent consideration.
Onyeama who had Condemned the recent attack moved to protest the unacceptable burning and looting of properties belonging to Nigerians in South Africa.
The Ministry also disclosed a travel advisory issued by the Ministry due to the tension created by the attacks, adding that the Nigerian Government wished to advice Nigerians to avoid travelling to high risk and volatile areas until the situation is brought under control.
The Minister had earlier on Tuesday taken to the official Twitter handle said;
Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.